ANTI BULLYING POLICY STATEMENT
This Policy is based on the “KIDSCAPE” Anti-bullying Policy for Schools
Fusion Gymnastics Academy is committed to creating an environment where members feel they can work without threat, anxiety and fear. Bullying of any kind is NOT acceptable and should be shared with others. All members must understand that any incidents will be dealt with promptly and effectively.
What Is Bullying?Bullying is the use of aggression with the intention of hurting another person. Bullying results in pain and distress to the victim.
Bullying can be:
- Emotional being unfriendly, excluding, tormenting (e.g. hiding books, threatening gestures)
- Physical pushing, kicking, hitting, punching or any use of violence
- Racist racial taunts, graffiti, gestures
- Sexual unwanted physical contact or sexually abusive comments because of, or focussing on the issue of sexuality
- Verbal name-calling, sarcasm, spreading rumours, teasing
Why is it Important to respond to Bullying?Clubs have a responsibility to respond promptly and effectively to issues of bullying. Any issues
of bullying should be shared and reported to Welfare Officer.
Signs and SymptomsSomebody may indicate by signs or behaviour that they are being bullied. We should be aware
of these possible signs and that they should investigate if someone:
- doesn't want to come to the gym
- changes their usual routine
- becomes withdrawn anxious, or lacking in confidence
- starts stammering
- feels ill before coming to the gym
- comes home with clothes torn or property damaged
- has possessions go "missing"
- asks for money or starts stealing money
- has unexplained cuts or bruises
- becomes aggressive, disruptive or unreasonable
- is bullying other children or siblings
- stops eating
- is frightened to say what's wrong
- gives improbable excuses for any of the above
These signs and behaviours could indicate other problems, but bullying should be considered a possibility and should be investigated.